Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Cosmic Debris - The Aurora Viewer

One of the reasons I moved to Wisconsin after living in California all of my life was to see the Aurora again. Sad excuse, right? The first time I watched it I was amazed as it was so beautiful to see. We never had anything like that in Northern California. Hell, we couldn't even see the stars!

Was I bummed when I realized that it was a seldom event! It probably happens low enough to see it in my area probably once or twice a year, maybe a little more. When it does, you'll freeze your buns off because it's probably -10 outside. Yuck.

I was happy to find Cosmic Debris by John Schilling. It's free and sits quietly in your menu bar waiting for something to happen with the Northern Lights. Now, I've only seen it light up to medium because I have it only monitor my area, but hopefully someday it will flash high and alert me to a good show before I high tail it back to my warm sun in California.

No comments: